Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Deciding on Words & Sounds

More language posting. :)

The more I do this project the more I think about language. Recently it's been the sound of my language. Languages I've discovered have difference sounds to them. For example one language might use lots of 't' and 'k' or one might use a lot of vowels, Italian comes to mind. My language...well I'm trying to make it softer than English but it's really quite difficult. As a native English speaker I don't want my language to be a close of English with a few different words. The idea is that my language is spoken more slowly and carefully than we speak English. The word 'thoughtfully' comes to mind. To that end I've tried to create a softer language but all I keep coming up with are 'k' words.

It's quite amusing really and very fascinating to see what happens when I create a new word. Mostly it's created and a use is found for it later. Certain words sometimes jump out at me when I'm looking for something. Amiera was one such word where it's meaning felt like it was destined for it. It now means beautiful. However sometimes I just can't seem to find a word which suits the English equivalent. Two odd examples are 'mother' and 'hello'. I've had several different words and none seem to fit.

This project has been such fun to do so far. It never occurred to me in a million years that I would be trying something so bizarre. I've found it's no different to learning a language either. Time is needed for any sort of fluency (possibly more because I don't have the time I want to work on it and I often change my mind) and I find myself constructing the same sentences I've seen on cards from when I was very young. I've seen cards from when I was about 6 or so, just learning to write, and I've caught myself trying to write those same sentences now in my language.

My language...such a strange thing to write. Not something I ever saw coming in my life but I don't care. This is such fun, so creative and exciting. It's never wrong because it's my language. The rules are mine to construct and break as are the words, grammar and pronunciation. In my mind this is my ultimate project. For no one can ever tell me it's wrong because it's from and for my mind only. Such an ego boost. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment